Monday, February 26, 2007

 

U.N. Decision on BiH Genocide Case

Proffessor Gordy was right on the money on this one. To be honest about this I can't say I'm happy about the ruling. I do feel that if there's a responsibility to prevent something then there is guilt. Sorry but if I have a slippery step and someone falls because of it, who is in trouble? I am! I am going to be the one who has to call my insurance company and see to the hospital bills. Alright someone falling on my steps is hardly genocide, but I would have a responsiblity to keep them de-iced and my failure makes me financially and morally liable. I do not think it is fair to try people for genocide and then let the very governments that set up the atmosphere and logistics for genocide go unaccountable. I am fairly sure that many in Bosnia Hercegovina would have the same opinion. So if Serbia isn't guilty of genocide according to this decision but failed to prevent it, then it is guilty. What is this lame assed stuff? Just goes to show you how useless the U.N. can be!

Of course if someone attacks Serbs in a genocidal manner the perpetrators can point to this decision! So Serbia's people should not rest easy over this decision either.
It is a compromise to save money and feelings but it won't in the future do what should happen, it won't save lives, it won't give pause to future leaders.

Mixed Ruling from U.N. Court on Genocide Case

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/6196aeaa-c584-11db-9fae-000b5df10621,_i_rssPage=7c485a38-2f7a-11da-8b51-00000e2511c8.html

Reuters on same story

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/6196aeaa-c584-11db-9fae-000b5df10621,_i_rssPage=7c485a38-2f7a-11da-8b51-00000e2511c8.html

Sesejl, regional Balkan court, KLA.

http://www.iwpr.net/?p=tri&s=f&o=333547&apc_state=henptri

KOSOVO: BLAST HITS OSCE VEHICLES, AS FORMER PREMIER LEAVES FOR HAGUE WAR CRIMES COURT

http://www.adnki.com/index_2Level_English.php?cat=Terrorism&loid=8.0.390039594&par=0


Comments:
The ruling being such as it is, I wonder what was Milošević doing first in Dayton and later in Hague?!?
If only sombody could explain me that.
Maybe I could ask the lady from CNN (Chris Amnapour) with whom I talked three times during her extensive coverage of the war in Sarajevo and Bosnia!!! At that time America was singing different song!
 
Even American conservatives were singing a different song, since then they've joined the Red Army Chorus!
Going through my stuff I found an old copy of the ConservativeChronical with an article by George F. Will titled 'Put Karadzic's Smug Face on a Wanted Poster. The cover had a virulently anti-Serb cartoon. I should dig it out and post a picture of the cover, because it's almost unbelievable in today's political atmosphere.
 
I am inviting you to comment on the latest international judgment in which Srebrenica genocide was re-affirmed as Genocide and in which Serbia was ruled to be guilty of not preventing Genocide,

http://srebrenica-genocide.blogspot.com/2007/02/icj-rules-serbia-guilty-of-not.html
 
------quote--------------------
Firstly the ICTY's judgment on genocide at Srebrenica has been reaffirmed. All the revisionist quibbles writing the ICTY off as a creature of NATO or Soros are now irrelevant. Now there can be no argument that genocide did not take place in Bosnia.
---------endquote---------------

I don't see where a 'softer' decision helps this, I think it leaves wiggle room for revisionists, because it leaves out other instances of genocide in BiH.
--------quote-----------------
The second important thing is that the state of Serbia has been found responsible as a state for failing to act to prevent genocide. So states can be held accountable, not just individuals.

-------------endquote--------------

This part would be the only positive aspect of the lame assed decision.
I think that what many Bosnians find distasteful is that Serbia hasn't been fully held accountable, nor have individuals once convicted been fully held accountable.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter