Saturday, December 30, 2006

 

Something worth watching

Food for Thought
This is a post at a blog called Genocide in Bosnia, the young man who puts out this blog is originally from Srebenica, he posted this video because it's got some things he felt worthwhile, I watched it and found a lot to think about. It's a panel discussion about Islamic extremism, and many young people are present.

At the request of Shaina, I am posting a brief summary, this is film of the Doha debates, I'm not sure who is the moderator, somebody British though, participants include Bishop Desmond Tutu,Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, a very remarkable American Muslim convert who really has studied, and he is very good at explaining things about the Muslim perspective to Americans in particular. Diana Butto, She's a Palestinian Muslim person, and a community activist, she's also a lawyer and has served as a legal advisor to the P.L.O. Dr. John Esposito, He's a proffessor at Georgetown University and founded an organization for Christian-Muslim understaning.

The first part of the discussion involved attempting to define extremism and terrorism, which are not so easy to define actually. Diana Butto mentioned a very important point and that is that the powerful tend to be the ones who get to define extremism and terrorism. Another person present who was not on the panel was Rabbi Arthur Schneir who is head of the UN Alliance of Civilizations.
There were a lot of students present,who asked very good questions.

One major point was that the extremists are not ALWAYS or ENTIRELY wrong, sometimes they are right about something and it's important to acknowlege them. Acknowleging valid points tends to be a good way to calm extremists.
(This is something I've noticed in my own life, to do so may not end the debate, or the problem but it tends to be useful, in at least calming the vehemence of a discussion.)

I do recommend going to the library and watching the whole thing. The other method is if you can download the whole thing while on pause, that sometimes is a useful technique in dealing with online videos. I have a DSL connection and it was even a little slow downloading for me.

This is really a good debate. There is a lot to think about in it.

Since many here will not be familiar with Shaykh Hamza Yusuf here is a link that has some information about him and it's interesting in it's own right.

Zaytuna Institute Shaykh Hamza Yusuf

http://www.zaytuna.org/teacherMore.asp?id=9




Comments:
I saw the post on the blog; but my computer is so slow, I haven't had time to watch it.
Do you mind briefly summerizing the main gist of the discussion?

I might try to watch it the next time I head out to the library, since their computers are faster tahn mine.
 
Thanks Owen!
 
Thank you. The debate does sound very interesting, as does Hamza Yousef. I have not heard of him before, so I did a brief "google" search on him myself.

BTW, I'm not sure exactly what is going on with my blog. The main page is just displays a bunch of html code. I have no idea why it is doing this, hopefully the problem will go away fairly quickly.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter