Saturday, October 21, 2006

 

That Little Talk

Huge hat-tip to Bora over at Science and Politics

Modern Puberty at the Evolutionarily Correct Age, Society, Individuals Not Ready

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/12/051201022811.htm

I've been saying for years that society as a whole, on all of Planet Earth needs to recognize this fact and be making the correct arrangements, such as talking to children about the changes they will experience, and the consequences of doing what comes naturally too early.

There is an inherent cruelty in a social order which delays financial and social independance to later and later ages while the age of biological readiness is so low by comparison.

I'm not here advocating that one solution might be arranged marriage, but it has been a solution in past eras in other societies.

I think maybe making things so people could reasonably expect to earn enough to support themselves at an earlier age would be a good idea. It might lower the level of conflict in the world, and I think far earlier education about birth control, sexuality and the responsibility, just how TERRIFYING the responsibility of raising children is something that needs to start sooner in young people's lives.

It's all very well thinking that children should be children for basically 12 years. It's not how it works anymore and as this article mentions, the advertizing industry is busily using sex to sell to children.

Which leads me to the question of economic education of children, my children were given 'that little talk' in a simplified version at about age six, and they were introduced to economic reality a bit younger. At about age 10, I began introducing them to economic theories, including Marxist theory, on the grounds that they needed to know how things work, that it would help keep them out of trouble.

The other part of the equation is protecting children from predators, and only a careful education on these matters will be of some use.

I'm here to say that my children turned out well, no illegitimate pregnancies caused or experienced, no banks robbed, not even graffitti!

I had to work when my children were growing up, but if I'd had the chance to be a stay at home mother for all of their childhoods, I would have! Raising children is a full time job! At least one parent ought to be home with children. I realize there's times it's just not possible, but with a little creativity and thought,a family with two parents can do that.

Some of the financial stress people suffer is because of buying totally un-necessary things.

'Needs' get invented.

Comments:
I'm glad you posted this here!

True story! Just yesterday I was sitting with a boy of 13 years old who I know from a local village.

From out of the blue he asked me, John, do you masterbate? I swear I was caught off guard by this but I quickly rebounded and talked to this kid one one one as if I were him years ago.

I said, yes I do...I do quite often actually. He then said that he felt bad because the church he attends says it's bad to do that and that you are killing babies.

From there we had an entire sex-ed discussion.

Don't get me wrong...I wasn't encouraging masturbation but, anyone who says everyone doesn't do it is full of crap. And the country I'm in is full of kids who have a low self esteem without having to worry about their bodily changes because of some church.

In fact, I was damn proud of the fact that this child was comfortable enough with me by brining this subject up!

I explained evertying from a wet dream to why it's not killing babies when one ejaculates while masturbating because there isn't an egg involved. Of course the egg and what that is was discussed too.

Sexual education is non-existent here! And you know what? I don't care one bit what trouble I may get into because of this "un-official" talk!

I know it was the right thing to do!

John
 
You know it's not so much the various religions which are the biggest problem in this ignorance, so much as the ignorant followers!
At 13 someone in his family should have already spoken the truth to this young guy, I'm glad you did since they didn't.

Joyceln Elders, Clinton's Surgeon General got made fun of ENDLESSLY on Rush Limbaugh's show for stating some of these basic facts, and the fact it really is the only option for younger people of both sexes.
 
Yea, I agree with you on the ignorant follower thing but, the Church is taking advantage of these poor people. It's a never ending cycle.

Have a good day.
 
All religious establishments take advantage of the poor! Religion itself is not to blame, but you are right that religious organization does take advantage of the poor. If people are poor and frustrated, they are a very mighty force to be used by anyone when God gave us certain of our energies for specific purposes, and the mis-use of these things is the real sin!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter