Monday, September 11, 2006

 

Monday

Today of course is the 5th anniversary of the September 11th attacks so there is a lot of media coverage in the U.S. of the anniversary.


Interestinc Commentary in Guardian on Sept 11th movies

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1869353,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=27


That day, I was very sick with the flu. I was barely awake when I heard the first news of it, and recieved a paniced call from my daughter who asked me 'So has World War F***ng Three Started?!!!'

I said 'So it wasnt' one of my wierd dreams!' and turned up the news.
Reaction locally was very strong. There's still a lot of superficial super patriotism, and a lot of people locally have served in Iraq.
Then there was all the pre:occupation locally with supposed predictions by Nostradamus, the preoccupation with supposed coincidences in the event. That sort of thing drove me just nuts. People who'se educations should have made them a little more sceptical were so preoccupied.
I think in a way, the fact I'd been to BiH several times before the Sept 11th attacks gave me a sense of perspective I might have lacked. This sense of perspective I believe was helpful to my family and to people around me that helped keep them calmer than they might have been. In a way this is leads up to today's stories.
I actually haven't arranged today's stories in order of objective importance, more in line with what struck me about the stories.

Međjugorije has been a remarkably safe destination in BiH. Most of the people Iever have known locally who have gone to BiH for reasons un-connected with service in the U.S. army have gone as pilgrims to Međjugorije. Come to think of it, this applies to people I knew before being a zeka in this gulag. When I was in San Francisco for example, I knew at least three people who went to Međjugorije as part of pilgrimage groups. So reading this upset me. What I don't understand is why this woman and her husband did not go together. It's quite a prominant story in Irish media as well, because most Irish people who have ever been to BiH other than as soldiers or humanitarian workers have gone as pilgrims to Međjugorije, and had a reasonably safe experience. Even in the war time it was fairly safe there. The day I went there, supposedly there was an incident, I was there at the same day, and it was totally calm. Wierd disappearances like this don't make sense either.

Irish Woman Disappears in Međjugorije

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/09/11/story276293.html

As is tradtional in Serbia,

500 Gather at Milosević Grave Site to Mark 6 Month Mark

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/09/11/story276302.html

Results of Montenegrin Election

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=141525

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter