Sunday, July 09, 2006

 

Sunday

500 more identified Srebenica victims to be buried Tuesday

http://www.startribune.com/722/story/541930.html


Not even peripherally to do with the Balkans, but interesting reading none the less!

A not that distant cousin of mine on my mother's side was Gavin Maxwell, who spent a lot of time among the Marsh Arabs when he went to find another pet otter. I learned about the community of the Marsh Arabs. The U.S. encouraged them to rebel against the regime of Saddam Husein and then failed to help them. These tribes have turned out to be the least violent and most effective resistance to extreme forms of Islam. They have the right combination of practicality, religious law and authority to make it work. The United States should not have encouraged their rebellion without backing them adequately and. I am glad the Marsh Arabs are seing something of a resurgence in their influence.

Tribal Leaders Calm Things in Southern Iraq

http://www.startribune.com/722/story/541891.html

Linguistic notes on 'Common Slavic'

http://agonist.org/sean_paul_kelley/20060709/common_slavic_and_the_romance_languages

Trial of Milan Milutinovic Begins

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5163844.stm

Yet Another Arms Dump Found in BiH

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=130&newsid=91857&ch=0&datte=2006-07-08

Al Qaida tried to infiltrate MI5

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?focus=analys&a=2&aid=8019&acat=6


Kosovo victims mourn in anger as new war crimes trial opens in The Hague


http://english.ohmynews.com/ArticleView/article_view.asp?no=304197&rel_no=1


The Man Who Invented the 20th Century, Nikola Tesla

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article1169705.ece

Bosnia's leftover guns: Sell, give, destroy?

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0710/p12s01-woeu.html





http://www.b92.net/eng/news/politics-article.php?yyyy=2006&mm=07&dd=08&nav_category=92&nav_id=35540




Folklife update
: I am sitting at home listening to some interesting music that sounds like it's in Farsi, over Gulag State Radio.
KlapaDoWopella did something totally sweet and cute, especially after I razzed them about their Serbian football club shirts! :) Two wore BiH team shirts and two wore Croatia team shirts! They sang lovely stuff in Croatian, and then I had to go to the Self-Publishing workshop. It looks like the ONLY way not to get ripped off IS to go that route! it's initially expensive and time consuming and the fact that print media consolidation has led to there being only SIX corporate publishing houses in the U.S. is not helpful. It leads to a terrible situatiion for 'new' writers! It's bad for democracy too! Don't try to tell me it isn't, it is.
So if I do manage to get my book into print, it may be my last book. I did hear of places to submit unusual books though. Which may be of help with my late mother's stuff, perhaps even my stuff.
Anyway this lady's take is P.O.D. is a rip off, and in some cases a bad one. So I will NOT be doing that, I"m so glad I did not give in to pressure from a certain quarter of my family to go that route.
This lady told us how to get blurbs and all sorts of good stuff.
During this whole thing a spider was walking around on me.
I have a particular love for insects and arachnids, I almost decided to be an entomologist at one point, their delicacy, complexity and yes the courage needed to survive as an insect or an arachnid is kind of awesome to me. Further spiders are lucky! To dream of spiders means you will get money somehow, and to have an encounter with a live spider is a very great sign of wealth to come. This lovely orb weaver was all over me then went to the lady sitting next to me who flicked it away in a rough manner, whic may have killed the spider. I said 'Don't spiders are luck!' She was pretty rude to me. I know who'se clinic I will NEVER EVER go to! Mercy is a part of healing! If you have no mercy on God's small creatures and can casually kill something for just being there, then you have a problem in my books. Maybe it's not up there with the war criminals, but it's icky. The woman was wearing a Tibetan Buddist deal on her shirt too! I think the combination of things bugged me worse than if a more 'conventional' person had done this. I do my level best to not harm God's creatures who are about their business.
Anyway, the guys in both Dave and the Dalmatians and Klapa DoWopella are terrific guys, great singers and it was a pleasure getting to hang with them a little. I'm an official groupie for both groups! :) not in the naughty sense of the word, but in the sense of displaying embarrasing and comical enthusiasm, and singing along, that sort of thing. My friend V. and her daughter showed up, I sat with them for a bit. R. brought snacks and drinks, and V. actually came to the Festival in her walker a distance of several blocks UP HILL for her in this heat! I got her some nice incense, I need to get it to her tomorrow. So much to do ooj. I'm so glad I didn't see stuff I wanted to buy other than the book 'The Fisherman's Quilt' The author gave the self publishing workshop, and is a nice person all around also.



different, it's been written down for as long as anyone remembers and has had musical notatation for that long, and it's no vice if the singers have music books. I noted though that the singers often could work without their books, either way they sounded fantastic. Klapa has this marvelous quality of a light, nearly classical touch combined with very poetic expression, and really sad subjects. It's a very relaxing sort of music to listen to. The members of both groups were very nice. I told them that they sang like birds in the woods and they loved that! and chatted with them in Bosnian, so they were dears and did some Bosnian songs, some Serbian songs a Slovenian song, and even a couple Russian songs. I understood most of what I heard, not all, but most. A friend of mine I knew at school was there. She and I lost track of one another because what I listened to went on longer than what they had gone to hear.She and this guy she met went to another venue. I stayed where I was, because while I didn't terribly like the band that was playing before my Croatian homies came back, I knew they were coming back and that was what I was in a mood for, besides both food and drink were cheaper where I was.
So I took a cab home.
My manuscript came back. The good news is I will have no doubt recieved some criticism that may help me make the book better. The bad news is it probably was rejected.That usually is what it comeing back does mean right?
I had it sent to my daughters because of the size of the package. I had no idea when it would come back and someone is always around there, which is not always the case around here chez moi.
Anyway I think I'll go to the self publishing workshop tomorrow at Folklife. I'll look at what sort of critique I got, and go from there, any suggestions I think well founded, and I assume there ARE some, I will go with. It's a first novel, that is normal.
Just because my mother could write so well doesn't mean I can. Which brings me to her work. I really wish she'd had an agent, I really wish she'd had the energy to keep submitting manuscripts or the brass to self publish. I understand her reasoning in not doing it, but it really wasn't fair to me. Writers owe it to their descendants either to make all reasonable efforts to be in print in their lifetime. No endevor can leave behind it more problems for grown children than work with literary merit which can't be published because literary agents don't like dead people very much.
I had a VERY reputable agent explain this to me.
You can't send dead people on book tours.The fact that my late mother would not have gone on book tours ANYWAY is beside the point.Alive she would have been available for it.

Meanwhile all sorts of stuff with no literary merit or real entertainment value gets into print all the time.

At least I had a nice time with the music, and got to see some of my nicer friends. The de-junking process is going well but I needed a break.
Well Gentle Readers, there is Balkans news I'd like to share, but I can't even read it because of stupid subscription and registration sites, without being able read it myself, I can't judge the value of the information, so I can't present it.
I need to get some sleep now, Finally it's almost cool enough in here for me to sleep. Laku noc!

Comments:
sorry, the update process got a little crazy because Blogger was having a brain fart. I couldn't change size and font to the size or style I wanted, because there was some resistance by the software. I'd click for it to be a certain way and it would go back to how I did not want it. Finally I just gave up and hit publish. Yes some of the slightly earlier information got lost to that.
Having hungry pet lizards isn't in the casual brutality catagory in my books. This spider was DEFINATELY not in attack mode also, it was curious and friendly. It's very rare to see a spider WANT to walk on a human.
If I had a pet lizard and it needed live food, I'd have fed it spiders too, the lizard also has to eat, I was more talking about the unthinking nature of this woman, and her rudeness to my objections. I would gladly have gotten up and put the spider in a tree. Some women are so afraid of spiders that it's in the silly catagory. Very few spiders are at all dangerous, they eat insects that are a LOT more objectionable. This was a lovely orb weaver and I regreted not having my camera along to take it's picture. I don't take my camera absolutely everywhere.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter