Tuesday, July 04, 2006

 

Happy July 4th My Fellow Americans!

Warning Pictures possibly NSFW

in Croatian language
It is miserably hot here already it's 73 degrees. I have an invitiation to a pool party, which involves a barbeque, so obviously I'm going!

I spent a good bit of the night looking for misplaced items. I did not sleep, it was hot, I took breaks to air the house. My son has decided that the sandwich steaks are his favorite thing. They involve actual cooking and we try not to do that when it's not possible to air out the house. I finally found the items after I did my hair. I'm going to lie down awhile and rest up for the party. It's the Fourth, no need for servile toil, it's not the custom for this day.


Warning, some pictures may not be safe for work

Hvar is Full of Rich Homosexuals

further

Rest of the Story

Now gay people going to Croatia on holiday is nothing new, Split used to be a real notable place for for gay holiday makers.

Bishop Warns About Medjugorije Apparitions

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=45105

Update:Folklife Festival next week in the Yakima Gulag will have some Balkans music! there is a Klapa group that will do Klapa and some Doo Wop stuff and then Dave and the Dalmatians. As well there is going to be a bit of Middle Eastern music, so we are getting Balkanized here!



Comments:
I've been to Medjugorije myself, not for the full pilgrimage because my fiance's health doesnt' allow for the long walk up hill involved. I am a sceptical person. I like the story about Pope Sixtus, a Croat Pope btw, some person was faking a miricle with an image of Christ on the Cross bleeding, they used a sponge and he realized what was going on and pulled an ax out of his robes, he said 'I worship Christ not this wood!' and chopped into the wood revealing the sponge filled with animal blood.
Anyway apparitions of the Virgin Mary and the others are not confirmed or denied until the apparitions stop.
You are correct that the Franciscans in Hercegovina and in Croatia are dfferent from in other places.
IT's not even that they are intrinsically so conservative or reactionary on an individual level, it's that the Franciscans were 1. prt of the reclaiming of Bosnia Hercegovina from the so called Bogomil Heresy, and later the Franciscans were important in preservign Catholicism under the Ottoman Turks, and later still preserving Catholicism under Communism. So in a sense they have been reactionary, they always had something to reac to after all!
Their historical position rendered the Franciscans in BiH and Dalmacija much more conservative than in other places. My own perception is that the funny part is aside from issues to do with Croatian identity and all that, they often are fairly liberal. It's a very selective conservatism.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter