Monday, July 10, 2006

 

Glupost!

Western Union (and a couple of other Money Transfer Organizations) block or seriously delay money transfers to people with Muslim names

look I understand the need to prevent terrorism, but I can think of ways in which 1. this has an immediate effect on people who are innocent and NOT terrorists. 2. Such delays and blockages will drive money into the hawala system whether that system is legal or not, because it's practically instant. That system is KNOWN to have been a transfer method of preferance for terrorists, and it's very much harder to regulate! Western Union transfers leave a paper trail that can be used to investigate things.

Western Union is a fairly popular way of sending money home for people in the Balkans. It's got a lot of points in it's favor, 1. not everyone has a bank account, 2. not all banks there or here can handle wire transfers directly between accounts 3, relatively low risk of identity theft, which is a risk with transfers where either party must disclose an account number.

It is to be noted that not all Balkans Muslims have Muslim sounding first names, and another thing, some Slavonic names which are Christian can sort of look like wierd variants of Muslim names, 'Momir' for example, if you don't speak B/H/S, could look like 'Muamir' the personal name of Khaddafi, the famed ruler of Libya. So it's possible that some people may be affected who are definately NOT Muslim.
The other thing about this policy is of course terrorists constitute only a tiny number when compared to the large numbers of Muslims who mind their own business and do harm to no one. These are the ones most harmed, by not being able to conduct normal, harmless and necessary business of daily living.
That sort of thing creates resentment which can fester. Given how many ways people are spied on, one would expect it to be more efficient. The fact is though, that it's less efficient than a more focused approach would be.



Comments:
I am sympathetic with those Muslims who are very good people, very spiritual, and nonviolent. I myself have read the Koran, I used to have a copy of it, and I see that it is similar to the Christian Bible, with of course its major differences. I can see how a few bad apple terrorists really make trouble for the peaceful folk. I myself am Catholic, but I am openminded when it comes to those of other faiths; I mean, we all, when it comes down to it, worship a Great Creator, in some form. At least, so it seems to me. If I am uninformed, then by all means, I would wish to understand more, from whoever wishes to explain things to me. I simply would not want to be brainwashed nor forced into another religion.....But there is religion, and there is spirituality. These are kindred things, yet different. Religion is the form one's worship takes, but spirituality is far more vast and pliable. Spirituality is simply opening your mind, heart, and spirit to the essence of love and compassion, in general, God.
Whew, I have gone on for a bit, haven't I? Well, I'll stop now. I am MistressEditor, at
http://wwwtheladydebates.blogspot.
com/ That's my URL.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter