Friday, June 30, 2006

 

T.G.I.F.

I found this little atlas in the family archives. I remember really being delighted to see it before, and had lost track of it. Anyway, it shows the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, it has the Turkish Empire and the Russian Empire and India is Hindoostan,





While I was house sitting a friend of myself and the people for whom I was house sitting came over, and this feral cat began to enter his car, I'll put the whole sequence up later, but he actually entered the car, since we were afraid he might spray in there we went out to get him out of the car. 'Hey you're being car-jacked we said to him and it was uproariously FUNNY!


This just in from NPR. I really hope this is not true, but I fear the worst. Three American soldiers were accused of raping a young Iraqi woman, killing her and three members of her family and burning her body. I have a real hatred for men who commit rape. It is among the more disgusting of crimes. Such men are not real men and they would be singing soprano after a very painful seris of operations if I could lay my hands on them. The only crime more disgusting is if it involves little children.
Anyone doing this is doing even more damage to U.S. aims in Iraq. They are damaging OUR country by doing this to people in another country. I have a hard enough time with the whole concept of this war. This is not right and if those guys are convicted, I hope they are put up against the wall, and I hope it's filmed. I want it known that this country takes such matters with the proper seriousness. That is the only way to prevent such deeds.
I'll say this, the fact they were arrested, guilty or innocent is a good thing, it shows something I like about my country, and that is that such behavior is not tolerated or encouraged. It should not be tolerated or encouraged.





Bidding War for Pliva

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13618966/

JOSIP JOVIĆ must appear before the Hague (in Croatian)

JOSIP JOVIĆ MORA U HAAG U PONEDJELJ

http://www.slobodnadalmacija.hr/20060630/index.asp

further details

Her Majesty's Government Changes Amassador to Serbia

http://www.gnn.gov.uk/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=211432&NewsAreaID=2

Bulgaria ends the Draft!:)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/30/world/europe/30BULGARIA.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Romanian Troops to Stay in Iraq

http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=16870

Flag of Serbia Raised at U.N. H.Q. in Vienna

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=125&newsid=91344&ch=0&datte=2006-06-30

Serbia Must Fulfil Obligations to Tribunal Before Decision is Taken on Kosovo, Vuk Draskovic


http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=125&ch=0&newsid=91329


Political Clashes in Macedonia

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=123&newsid=91308&ch=0&datte=2006-06-30

The doings of the surviving Hapsburgs


Archduchess makes waves with art on the Danube

http://www.bbj.hu/main/news_13855_archduchess%2Bmakes%2Bwaves%2Bwith%2Bart%2Bon%2Bthe%2Bdanube.html


This bit is interesting! Thyssen was closely tied to the grandfather of President Bush, and it is worth noting that they were in business together, having a factory in Auschweitz.

"But why, I asked over coffee, the Danube? "The Danube in my mind connects Istanbul to Vienna,'' Von Habsburg said. "It represents borders, boundaries, divided countries: Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Austria, Serbia and Croatia. Now we're talking about European enlargement, let's turn that into an artery of communication and understanding.'' The archduchess herself embodies a good deal of central and Eastern European history.
She was born in 1958, the daughter of Baron "Heini'' Thyssen, a renowned art collector with a fortune estimated at 2 billion pounds ($3.6 billion), by his third wife, Fiona Campbell-Walter, an English model. And she married Archduke Karl Thomas, first in line to inherit the claim to the Austro- Hungarian monarchy, and principal heir of the Holy Roman Empire. Habsburg is a name connected with a lot of history along the Danube; and most of the rest is a response to invasion by the Turkish Ottoman regime. The result is a patchwork of communities and religions. "itd 7rla etc etc

U.S. and French Presidents Show Support for Bulgaria's EU Accession


http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=69&newsid=91343&ch=0&datte=2006-06-30

This is about Naser Oric.

Bosnian commander convicted, then released

http://www.eecho.ie/news/bstory.asp?j=80239286&p=8xz39588&n=80239666

There was also a really interesting story about Texas ice-houses, and how one of them became 7-11, and the connection of ice-houses with the conjunto style of music, a type of music popular on both sides of the border, it's a sort of cross between Mexican music and the music of German, Czech and I believe Balkans immigrants to the region. It's a style that is actually pretty similar to the Gypsy Brass style, it's maybe a little milder, a little less energetic, but not by much.
People who like Gypsy Brass will like Conjunto, and Mariachi music, and vice versa.

I was working on the family archives until a very late hour last night to make up for the time lost to that task by house sitting. It was a nice cool night, and I only got over heated twice. This was easily dealt with by drinking large glasses of water. I think I may have lost a small amount of weight, that's a good thing! plus I was able to move a few things out of the living room. I was getting so sick of tripping over some of the stuff that has to go. I think I'm going to have another day of things other than work today and tomorrow and maybe Sunday.
The good thing is I am seeing progress. The archive room is going to be less of a mess to deal with.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter