Wednesday, May 17, 2006

 

Summer Comes Early to the Gulag

The weather has become very hot very early here. I notice too that a lot of people in the area are not mowing their lawns. I am speaking of American people. It is probably the cost of gas. If it becomes too expesive to mow using a gas mower, I am at least covered, because I do own a scythe. I won't hesitate to use it. Right now I pay a neighbor to mow the grass because I must save my strenght for my school work. Still if I have to use it, the annoying people who used to drive by and think this was FUNNY, will realize I made a very wise investment.

It turns out that a few classmates in my math class are people of Croatian heritage. Some of my classmates come from Roslyn, famous for the show 'Northern Exposure' (I personally know the guy who played one of the Native Americans, a Yakama Indian) I also have met many from Rosyln who got really tired of how the show messed up their daily lives.

When they don't come from Roslyn they come from neighboring Cle Elum, I like Cle Elum, it's a charming little town. Again many of the inhabitants have ancestors from Croatia. I have heard that the language is dying out among them, as older people die. Some are a bit distressed by this fact. Most are pretty thoroughly assimilated Americans, and they don't speak the language at all.
The lives of their parents and grandparents were hard, the Croats arrived in large numbers at the end of the 19th century and early in the 20th century to work in the coal mines.
So the fact I have actually been to Croatia three times is of interest to a few of my classmates.

I will try to feature some information and websites on Croatia for the benefit of those classmates who may come to this blog.

The first advice I give them is have a look at Balkan Baby. Ed is English, but he's been living in Zagreb and has written a good bit about Osijek, and his travels around Croatia generally.

His blog is in the sidebar. Go through the archives to see nice pictures.

Well I must go, that annoying lag seems to be gone. That's nice! I wonder if the bad weather back East has caused some of it?


http://living.scotsman.com/people.cfm?id=735092006

Update on Elsie Inglis statue

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=123&newsid=88540&ch=0&datte=2006-05-17

Earl of Wessex Visits Macedonia


http://ionglobaltrends.blogspot.com/2006/05/arms-bosnia-denies-secret-sale-of-arms.html

More on the Wierd Weapons Shipment story



Comments:
The only real prior knowlege I had of the Balkans wars was stuff my mother said, and stuff in a book of Hemingway's war reporting.
It was simply awful. I remember that much.
The emphisis in U.S. schools is also much more on the Western front and there was even more about Russia, which was then undergoing it's own unrest.
The biggest single reference to anythign in the Balkans was to the assasination in Sarajevo.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter