Monday, May 15, 2006

 

Blieburg Rememberance

Today is Bleiburg Day I know that many don't like to talk about this because it is a day that should bring shame on civilized people. Basically Croats who fled to Austria for protection at the end of WWII were handed over to the Yugoslav government. This resulted in them being massacred. It was and remains a source of bitterness among Croats. It should not have happened.
It is one thing that men who were former soldiers were killed, but women and children also were killed.
This after a journey under hellish conditions. I still remember my mother telling me about the children who made this walk who developed calluses an inch thick on the soles of their feet because their shoes wore out and fell apart on the long walk over mountain passes.
The Allies should not have handed over these people. If they'd wanted to intern them and sort out who had criminal responsibility in WWII that would have been far better, far more civilized, even if they shot some of those people, it would not have been a massacre and it would have been less blood on the hands of the then new government of Yugoslavia.
Maybe the result of doing things as they should have been done would have been the survival into the 21st century of Yugoslavia. The breakup could not have been exactly forseen maybe but this sort of thing contributed over time to the bitterness and sorrow that led to the breakup.
I think on this day people who live in the West and are of the West need to face the ways that their government's actions led to it over time and to think about foreign policy and issues of asylum in a new way.

Today's stories so far:

Explosion in Macedonian Embassy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060511/wl_nm/serbiamontenegro_mladic_dc

Promises promises...


on a personal note, it's been very hard for me to get my mouse to co:operate! Sometimes it's fine for HOURS at a time, other times I will need to shut down, and try to get back on and hope the mouse works. Sometimes it's seven or eight times, meanwhile I'm reduced to lurid terrible blasphemy.
Why the Hell could the designers of so essential a componant have designed it better?
One the plug that plugs it into the tower is so fragile! The least damn thing can jar it!
Two the wireing inside is way too delicate! things like that drop sometimes even if you are VERY careful.
I like optical mice very much BUT my computer is so spoiled I can't get the older type of mouse to work, and the lovely wireless mouse and keyboard my son got me worked a few hours, and now won't despite the absence of any obvious defects.
I don't know what the cause of the problem is, my son hasn't had time to help with it, and frankly it makes me really really angry sometimes.
Then this morning I had something fall into the toilet, AFTER I'd used the toilet!
Maybe in the grand scheme of things these are trivial events but it's VERY tiresome and I didn't need that kind of happening.
I was already really frustrated by the mouse being on the blink which it has been for months and this model of mouse hasn't been in the local place I buy these things either for a long time.
I want a new mouse that my computer won't refuse to interact with.
I'll put the other stories in at school. At least it's doable, if less comfortable than at home.


ok here I am at school, I hope this posts ok, I've taken my new precautions so hopefully it will.

http: english.pravda.ru/news/world/15-05-2006/80297-Dutch-0

Explosion in Macedonian Embassy"


Promises Promises...

http://http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=63481

Taliban suspects busted in Bulgaria

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?catid=144&newsid=88422&ch=0&datte=2006-05-15

11 Kosovo Citizens involved in Illegal Tafficking in Immigrants

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=63479

UK facing more immigration from Romania, Bulgaria

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/health/article_1164068.php/New_outbreak_of_bird_flu_in_Romania

Hej she's CUTE too!



http://news.monstersandcritics.com/health/article_1164068.php/New_outbreak_of_bird_flu_in_Romania
Again with the bird flu!




OK it didn't work, mostly due to my not being able to remember how to do the code. I came home again because I really wasn't feeling good, I stuck around long enough to go to Math and get my homework. I will be doing that now that I'm home. It gets WAAAY too hot in the buildign where math is. I am having a digestive problem and just don't need to be in a hot room right now.
My instructor was VERY understandinga bout it! I've been very fortunate about instructors. For those of you who came to this blog earlier, sorry for the messed up ness of the links. It's VERY hard for me to see things on the screen there at school because of the way things are set up. The resolution is bad compared to at home. I could not exactly remembered how to set up the cold and this link thing here in compose has NEVER EVER worked in the history of my blog. oooooj.

ok here I am at school, I hope this posts ok, I've taken my new precautions so hopefully it will.




Promises Promises...




Taliban suspects busted in Bulgaria


11 Kosovo Citizens involved in Illegal Tafficking in Immigrants

UK facing more immigration from Romania, Bulgaria

Hej she's CUTE too!




I had to put back the messed up links because dammit when I tried to do things the 'right' way it didn't work! did I mention I hate that I can't just use the link feature and count on it working?
Whoever can dig up one of the Blogger staff to explain what a damn pain this is and talk HIM or HER into fixing that, I'd really like it!

I whish they had like a phone number, an e-mail address, dead drop, cut-out, one time pad SOMETHING! ANYTHING! so I could let them know this feature doesn't work, and that doing it the hard way is harder on some of us!


OK I had a question why the Croats went to Blieburg. I was promised that this question was not a provokation.

In the confusion at the end of WWII, various nationalist and anti-Communist elements thought that their best chance was with the West.

Geographically speaking there was no other available direction for them to go.

Fairly thorough accounts are here:

McAdams on Blieburg


http://www.serendipity.li/hr/bleiburg_massacres.htm
Count Tolstoy on Bleiburg
* nb quick note on Serendipity, I don't endorse the site, I only used it to acquire soruce material.



Comments:
Cao Yakmina

A question (I'm not sure about the answer, it isnt a provocation I promise) -

Why did the Bleiberg Croats flee to Austria?

This question might be interesting for readers too.

pozdrav
 
I cannot get to your email, but here is a good blog. Morgan is a cousin of mine who is in Afgahnistan. http://ccadventures.com/
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter