Sunday, April 16, 2006

 

Sretan Vam Uskrs!




thanks to Connie for the illustration!


Sretan Vam Uskers* Fellow Zeks, and those who visit the Gulag!
So how is Easter in the Gulag?Well it's FREEZING out here in the Gulag! I had to bring in my house plants last night because we had the first real frost warning, and even a warning of a 20% chance of get this, SNOW!
I went to visit a friend of mine who has really not been well lately. On the way to her place I saw a snowflake. Had I been on the campus of the Yakima Gulag People's Institute of Higher Re:Education, I would have assumed it to be a petal from a cherry blossom, the little cherry trees by the library are blooming. Here however the nearest cherry related item would be the Cherry Cokes in the cooler at the 7-11 store!
So snow level at 1500 feet, and my daughter is going to get me and Ivan the Terrible after she gets off work. They are having a barbeque at her place. I am glad because I like going there, and I like to have barbeque very much.
I get laughed at at barbeques a lot, because I don't put buns on my burgers, I have ALWAYS all my life if plates ere available gotten a plate and put the burger on the plate with pickles, onions, a pickle or two and maybe some mustard. Everyone laughes at me for it, but I do it anyway.
I a

m going to put away as many burgers as I can, and enjoy the grand babies, and kick back.

Nice view of the suspected pyramid in the background! I wish I could be in on that dig..
BBC picks up on Pyramid Story!

Pyramids can be right under your nose even in places where there are a lot of pyramids right under your nose. Having lived in Mexico when I was little I saw LOTS of them. Including one that really did look like the Bosnian suspected pyramid, I remember going there with my parents, and my younger sister.
Newly Discovered Pyramid in Mexico

Odd and Cool, the Yakama People should do this!

Easter Rising of 1916 Commemorated
I never thought I'd see a story done this way on the BBC! I stayed in Dublin in a hostel just around the corner from the GPO, and the lightwell still had the marks of flame after all those years! I was told by a person that was there that I was correct in assuming that the marks of flame were from the time of the Rising. I should say there are not THAT many bullet holes left in buildings now, it's not like Sarajevo or something these days, but at the time Central Dublin was devastated. It looked pretty bad, as things tend to do after heavy naval artillary bombardment.

Article about 'Grbavica'


* that means Happy Easter in Bosnian, at least if you are saying it to someone Catholic, and Croatian, if you say it to someone Serbian it's something else, but I'll wish my Orthodox visitors Happy Easter on their big day next week! :)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter