Sunday, April 30, 2006

 

A Quiet Sunday in the Gulag

Wow Granger High is on NPR! Principle Esparza has been doing a lot with the school! I"m glad to hear that! He's been showing them physically what their earnings will be if they stay in school. This is a good place to start.

It's cold this moring in our gulag but we were warned to expect all sorts of things, a proper sand storm, thunderstorms, hight winds, whatever. I bet it will be perfectly nice out. Not that I'm going there if I don't have to. The most outdoor thing I plan to do is get the washing hung. If a sandstorm blows up I'll have to rapidly bring it all in and hang it in the bathroom. Seriously I went to sleep too warm, and woke up freezing.
I went to sleep fairly early last night actually. Friday night Ivan the Terrible slept a total of 14 hours. He needed it though. I can tell you this particular flu is disruptive of sleep. So one must do what one can to sleep long on recovery. I wish i had another day off. I must go to classes though.
The big news in the U.S. is the May Day boycott of jobs with a one day 'work boycott' We have had in our country no such thing as a 'general strike' in decades, but this amounts to a one day 'general strike'. I don't think it's a good idea to boycott work, but many will be doing so locally. I personally must go to school. I have no real choice but to be in classes as long as I can make it in at all. Still it can't be a totally bad idea of Elie Wiesel is marching! He's not a young man and it means something if he's going! I had the privelege of meeting him when he was on a book tour years ago, and I respect the man greatly. He's stood for the right things a lot of the time and that is worthy of respect. I will not spend any money that day but I'm going to be in classes. There have been a lot of rumors in this town about what will and will nto happen, it's known there will be a march, which I'm not going to because I'm not well enough to go.I'm barely well enough to be in classes.


I read the headline and thought it said 'social services' instead of 'special services' I must not be particularly awake.

130 people have been helping Mladic

2 killed in an explosion in Mitrovica Kosovoska


Milosevic Ally buys his son a 25 m pound home

2 killed 45 injured in road accident in BiH



Psychologically this man went through a few of the same issues I did with learning English with a few exceptions, 1. English was spoken in my home, 2. different language, and 3. Different national transition. Mexico U.S. vs then Yugoslavia U.K.
I did feel a certain amount of common ground though, and it's a good article.

Dejan Sudjic Goes Home




Pyramid Update

Russian girl wins Mrs. World title
She's a knockout drop dead gorgeous young woman too.
So GO AHEAD! Write that Post Soviet Spy Thriller!
Russia still spying on U.S.

another note, John Keneth Galbraith died. He was a very great man.


Comments:
no the check has not arrived!
 
I LOVE eXile.Ru! It's a very good presence on the Web, especially the article about the various sorts of Europeans and how they hate each other was a favorite, and the restaurant review of the Serbian restaurant in Moscow was another favorite!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter