Friday, February 10, 2006

 

Poetry Slam disappointing.....

This year's Black Box Poetry Slam frankly disappointed. 1. Rhymed Preachments in place of real poetry. 2. Rhymed Propaganda in place of real poetry. I am for example not wild about the war in Iraq, and one guy wrote such a BAD anti-war poem that by the end of this assault on my ears I wondered who the hell's side he was on. Then there was the stupid usual poems about people's pasts of drug abuse, boy they miss the DRAMA!
One guy read a poem about his drugging days and some girl who was engaged in prostitution that he knew. I found myself wondering why is it that badly written rhyme seems to go on forever? Badly written rhyme about unedifying subjects in particular seems to have no end. It's like they pick up the rhyming dictionary and can't stop.
I really was getting annoyed because of the jugeing too. This time the judges only decided who made it to the second round with some numeric finagleing by the person who started Poetry Slam. While I like the transparency of no haveing the judges in the other room no dramatic running in and out by the person who started Poetry Slam, I'd like to see one more change, and that being someone else keeping track of the numbers. There are enough mathematically oriented people on this campus, surely one such person could be invited to write down the scores, some person who doesn't care one way or the other about poetry.
There was one person who claimed never to have read before a group before, she wasn't too bad actually, and there was my friend the former taxi driver, who read nice work.
I have no idea who won. My stomach began to really bother me so I left earlier than usual.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter