Saturday, February 04, 2006

 

I Bet Our President Loses Sleep Over This...

Turning Muslim in America

This is a fairly long film. It's interesting What it is about is Americans in Texas, of a type commonly called 'Rednecks' who have become Muslim. In today's political climate, it's an interesting turn of events. A fair number of the women have adopted not just hijab, (required) but niqab (not required) Interestingly most of these people appear to be the sort of people who probably voted for the current president.

It's interesting that many of these converts used to be Baptist, and that a woman among them came of 'a priveleged backgrournd, private schools, tennis lessons..'
One thing I noticed that was impressive is that the mosque was intergrated! there were Black faces among the White! That is actually a positive as far as I am concerned.

What do I think? I do not think that America is going to become a Muslim country. If I were Muslim I would rejoice at so many new converts who seem fervant, as a Christian I must lament their loss. A lot of their criticisms of what is going on in Christianity hold water whether you are Catholic, or Protestant. I will not speak about whether this is so of the Orthodox way, but for certain it is true of the Catholics and the Protestants.
Christians do not observe modesty any more, which used to be a hallmark of Christians, Christians are involved in dealing in interest, which used to be a terrible thing, now our economic system is dependant on interest.
I wish some of these people had stayed and been the back-bone of a true reform within Christianity. That would have been a great work, and one I have not given up on.
I wish these folks well. I hope they learn tha difference between what is required and what is not required and which will only cause antagonism towards them. Niqab for example I am assured is NOT required. In fact it is not permitted on the Hajj, the Pilgrimage. It can result in more problems than it 'solves' I was pleased though to see that they were happy people mostly. I don't think these same people were happy before. Of course conversion, any conversion has it's moments of joy. It has also it's moments of difficulty. I hope that within their new community they will recieve the support they will undoubtably need at times.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter