Monday, January 30, 2006

 

Site Meter records a visit to my site from The Hague!

Netherlands The Hague, Zuid-Holland

I noticed this and had of course hilarious fantasies of various persons reading my humble blog. Perhaps Milosevic, perhaps Gotovina, perhaps Amir Kubura, perhaps even they are discussing my post about the Hell Hounds!
Eyeing the pictures of the tomatoes, or looking at old posts with pictures of the landmarks of the Yakima Gulag and near vicinity!
Well if this is so, they are part of a very select and small leadership.

I kind of took a break, the locksmith arrived! It was not too painful a repair process but no, I did not make it in to lab, and I'm not leaving until close to time for Conversational Spanish. Actually I use my Spanish more all the time. Right now I am going to go back to that self abuse over at 'Learn2type.com, I have to master 10 key, and it's miserable, my fingers hate it!
I really wish they'd listened to me that it would be better to train me as a medical transcriber rather than in B&C. For me believe it or not it's less to look up. They did things as they did because of outsourceing. A lot of medical transcription in English speaking countries is now done in India. That is because it's cheaper of course. There have been problems with confidentiality and other serious matters doing that because the laws are not the same. I think another thing, if someone abroad is going to do this they should be paid what I'd get paid, and be held to the same standards. I don't think putting this work in India at below the normal wage for Americans is fair to Indians who ahve gone to great expense to learn about medicine and such. It's no favor to them, it's yet another exploitation.
I have a Macedonian radio program on. I rather like the music on this station. It's possible to get all kinds of cool music on the Internet. In fact they had something with Macedonian bagpipes a bit earlier. I really like it. For my American friends who never heard them, actually if you were a viewer of Xena Warrior Princess, the music often included Makedonian bagpipes and Bulgarian vocalists. I think this was to convey that they were Thracian. ... whatever....
Earlier that Russian station had a LOT of marvelous old stuff. I will definately give them a listen again.

Comments:
Interesting comment about the Xena soundtrack. Never knew that at the time, but it makes sense - after all, the Bulgarian women's choirs would have been big business in the US during the early/mid 90s.

Any idea which musicians they actually used?
 
Wikipedia has a fairly decent article about the music for Xena. It has some of the music. I was wrong too about one thing, it's a Bulgarian gaida that is used. Still the article is wrong that it is only the stomach of a young sheep or goat that is used, the bagpipes in the entire region use the entire skin. Any picture of them will reveal that legs and arms are there.
There is no way one could get the same durability out of a stomach, and there is no way you could get t he same sound either! That is a matter of the volume of air and the reeds.
When I went to BiH the first time, there was a program on TV about peasants who live in the mountains near Dubrovnik, Croatian peasants, and they had one bit in the program with people doing the old dances and there was a gaijdar playing, and it reminded me a good bit of the Xena Warrior Princess music. For someone who mostly heard Irish, Scots, Northumbrian, Breton and Galician pipeing, it sounded very different, the only thing close I heard when I was younger was Macedonian, (NOT the Greek side of the border!) this was odd.
Yes the Bulgarian choirs traveled all over the U.S. but mostly in major cities. Their music was liked by people of Bulgarian origins liveing in the States, and 'New Age' music fans.
 
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xena:_Warrior_Princess#The_Music Xena
 
I hate what a pain Blogger is with HTML!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter