Friday, January 06, 2006

 

Greetings:

To the Orthodox believers who visit this site, Srecan Bozic! to the Catholic believers who visit this site, happy Day of the Three Kings!

It is cold in the town where I am which is near to the Yakima Gulag, but is more of a Potemkin Village than a Gulag, think of it as Gulag Lite, fewer sex offenders, and no drive by shootings why have a driveby when it's legal to to fire weapons in one's own back yard!
The kids are haveing fun I took them to some websites with pictures of Baba Yaga, I mean damn that IS an important part of their heritage. They LOVE stories with Baba Yaga. I make them up if I can't remember any real ones, it's not so much the story itself they like as the descriptions of her, rideing around in the pestle and morter and eatting bad children, and the house that walks around on chicken feet, and her long snaggly hair and bony legs. They like that stuff.
The dog and the chicken are fine, the hen has cold feet this time of year, nothing worse than being a chicken in winter! Chickens are basically a tropical creature, just like humans! Unlike dogs who are adapted to every climate.
I actually read some of my home work. Some of it might be better done at home. Some has to wait until the grandbabies go to sleep. At least I got my hellos in at two classes. I realized I need two code books too! That could be a bad thing!
If I drove, I could just strap the kids in and go get the books but I don't so it must wait, meanwhile I have the other books, which weigh some 50 or 60 pounds.
At least in the house it is warm and I slept a little better.
My son in law found a Physicians Desk Reference for medicinal herbs, he gave it to my daughter, I told him if he finds another I would love to have one too! It's great, it has photographs.
I have used herbal treatments on my own family, with caution of course because just because a thing is natural doesn't mean it's always safe, tigers are natural are they safe? Of course not!
My daughter of course understands this, and so does my son. Still times when I could not afford a doctor, the treasury of herb books in my household have been a great help.
In my future work as a medical interpreter, knowing what herbs patients might have used will be helpful too, because then I can tell the doctor and help them have better care. Some herbs go badly with some allopathic medicines. Some can't be taken at all with certain allopathic medicines, some help.
I use these things when there isn't a doctor because some herbs are either growing where they can be picked, or they are not that expensive compared to prescription medicines.
The main thing is to KNOW with certainty what you have.
The PDR for herbal medicines has photographs of all the herbs, and many were things I didn't realize had medicinal uses. That's always cool to find those things out.
Our ancestors who traded far and wide for black pepper just to give one example, got a plant which can be used to kill E. coli, which can cure coughs, and which tastes nice.
In fact people in Dalmacija valued pepper highly, and felt that no one could live a long life who didn't use it.
Or look at garlic, which Russian people say is 'better than ten mothers' It is useful for blood pressure, and for lowering blood fats, or ginseng, or ginger which have uses, these plants were not just valued for their nice tastes. Modern doctors will use them sometimes too if they know about them.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter