Friday, January 27, 2006

 

Close to a Million People Attend Funeral of Rugova

Dr. Ibrahim Rugova's Funeral

This funeral would be remarkable even if it were not for someone who played such a key part in recent Balkans history, simply because of the sheer numbers present. I think it may be that this was among the largest funerals in history. I certainly never heard of one more attended.

Interesting rumours that Dr. Rugova may have been a closet Catholic are in this article, you remember that I posted a picture of Dr. Rugova at home with his wife and one of his sons. There was definately a Christmas tree in the background. Now I have to say, a Christmas tree in a Muslim home is not entirely unprecidented. I knew a Muslim family in San Francisco, both parents were Muslim but the mom was a former Catholic. The kids were seeing Christmas trees everywhere in San Francisco so with her husband's permission she put up a Christmas tree. I went out and helped her buy it actually the same day I bought a tree for my home. We took them home in a cab while her poor husband watched ALL the kids, my two and her five. He was soooo glad to see us!

Once the mom had me take her two boys to Mass with me, so that they could see that it's a perfectly dignified place, and not bad. Again with her husband's permission.She was concerned they were becoming affected by bigots in the community of Muslims and she rightly decided, that exposure to other religions combined with CORRECT education in their own religion was the right step to take.
I also used to take the oldest boy up to the mosque if she was not well. I didn't go in past the foyer, simply handed him over to the teacher, went to a donut shop for a coffee and donuts and came back for him when class was over.

Her husband's rationale for allowing a Christmas tree was 'Well was not Nabi Isa peace be upon him, one of God's prophets? There is no sin to honour him!'

He was a man from a small village in the Middle of Nowhere, Yemen.

Still in Kosovo the majority in the last two centuries is Muslim, so there would not be so much temptation from beautiful, brightly lit Christmas trees.

The funeral being more of a State funeral than a normal funeral isn't entirely a reason for an absence of Muslim as opposed to Christian or secular type ceremonies.
I think that it's left out of the article taht Dr. Rugova was for many years a member of the Communist party. He may not have been particularly attached to any religion.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter