Saturday, December 31, 2005

 

Sretna Nova Godina Prijateljima!

The Capitol Steps

This is programming some kind person beamed in on a bleak morning for us zeks to enjoy.
I feel like in my little way I've arrived since I met at least one person they are satirizeing on this show, 'Politics Takes a Holiday'namely Howard Dean, whom I have met twice. Once he visited our gulag, for a convention of zeks exiled for the crime of being Democrats, and once when I was able to get a three day pass to visit Seattle, where I was in the biggest crowd ever assembled in the ENTIRE history of Seattle, perhaps even of the Soviet of Washington.
For my contacts in the Balkans, this is recommended listening, and of oourse I recomend this highly to the other zeks liveing in this gulag.
The make fun of all the stories inflicted on us in the gulag courtesy of Glas Kapitalizme.
Speaking of those fine people, I am NOT hireing their contractor! Yesterday, I heard the State Approved Excuse for their odd broadcast difficulties, (aside from excessive right wing programming but that is another matter...) They have a building that leaks! This has damaged certain of their vital equipment. The equipment seems to work fine for re-runs of Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, and Mike Savage. Fortunately,(and this is NOT repeat Not my sarcastic voice!) most of Dr. Laura was live, she at least keeps working for a liveing and sometimes she's not all bad. Some of those incompetant Drama Queens that call her NEED a good bitch slap. It did not prevent the Seattle Sonics broadcasts for the most part, and since I like to hear the games, for ammo for small talk that doesn't involve politics, I'm nto even a BIG basketball fan, although it's one of the few sports I was halfassed good at.
It did however (Back to annoyed snarky sarcastic attitude mode) we got stuck with not even old radio shows, which I like as long as they aren't the cheesy Christmas shlock type shows, NOOOOO, it was close to 48 hours of the Manheim Steamroller Christmas Special, OVER and OVER again! This might have been alright IF they'd acutally put on Manheim Steamroller's music instead of damn near every worn out Christmas tune.
Actually these big brassy acts seem too popular with the right wing, Manheim Steamroller and TransSiberia Orchestra, which of the two I prefer anyway...
The Capitol Steps rule, they make fun of EVERYONE.
Ahhhhh! zasto ne?, they all deserve it! Especially Charles and Camilla, and Tom Delay, The song about Charles and Camilla ruled...but then all the songs from the Capitol Step's songs rule. OH the Hussein - Chirac routine killer! especially the bit about 'being stuck in a room with Ramsey clarke I mean haven't I suffered enough?'

damn stupid phone line into Sarajevo is overwhelmed I guess, I have been trying to get through, and it ate time on both my phone cards without giveing me even one ringie dingie. I hate this. It isn't bad enough being separated like this but when I can't even place the damn call, that pisses me off. I may as well give up and just go out. or for that matter go to sleep, it's rainign big time out there. I mean yeah it's better thaan snow at least. so I'm haveing my glass of slivo remembering a much happier New Year's Eve, when we were together. I hate this. sorry for being a Drama Queen about it. I could try again Midnight our time, that's 9 am there, and given that it's too rainy to go out, maybe that is the wisest course to take. I wanted to go out, it was only misty this morning. Mist I can deal with, but not rain.not heavy rain. Downtown where all the fun is, is going to be cold and miserable. At the same time, if people don't go out and enjoy what's out htere, it may never happen again. I think it's great they have stuff to do downtown for New Years. the internet broadcat from HRT was cool, I watched a lot of it, then it stopped showing any picture. At least for midnight it showed. That much. Lat year it was better, it was easier to see. but hey at least it was on. So for a few moments we were looking at the same pictures, though separated by 9 hours of time difference. I mean you gotta expect the phone lines to be bad in winter over there, at least we were able to talk on Christmas eve. I hope he got my card and letter, I got his card, not his letter yet. OK I"M gonna quit bitchin and go get some food. I';ll look at the great out doors again, I think I need a night out wheter it's a good idea or not, just for my own sanity.
Well I ended up staying home, I got a phone call from a friend I know here, and didn't feel like going out afterwards. then my son came home and he had coffee cake. oNe of his buddies has an internet girlfriend visiting, so I got o meet her, she's nice, they had a good time.
I will try to reach my fiance at 9 pm coordinated gulag time, by which point it will be 9am in Sarajevo.
I had some nice wine I was going to open to drink, just a nice white Zinfandel from California. I have one of those rabbit ear corkscrews, the best sort for a woman to use, and get this, the damn thing broke, I have used it with the new plastic corks before, but this one seems denser than usual, it's made to look like a real cork, but it's plastic, and I have been going occasionally to dig away with a knife from time to time. I just want a hole down the side of it, which I can do without getting chunks in the wine, but it's takeing awhile. Meanwhile I put on Shoutcast for a bit, I'm just tired of the same old music on NPR's jazz night. A little jazz isn't a bad thing, but this has gottesn repetative. So I am going to have a quick look at the blogosphere and then lie down with a good book until midnight our time, and make another try at calling my fiance. It's too late to call him now, assumeing the phone lines work.
Hey Thanks for your visit Goran. I don't know anything about chess, it's one of those things I never learned to do. My father tried to teach me, but some how it never sank in. Still I am well aware of the people from former Yugoslavia who are great players.
It's nice you have a blog devoted to this where you share the stories of that world.
I guess it's like I am about soccer, I don't understand the game, I'm more apt to know how the riot afterwards came out, the stories of the eccentricities of great chess players amuse me, I love reading them.

Comments:
Srecan Bozic i Sretna Nova Godina
 
Hej hvala! Srecan Bozic I Sretna Nova Godina!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter