Wednesday, November 30, 2005

 

More Croats turning to Islam!

I'm sure this is just what my Bosnian Croat guy wanted to read while drinking his morning coffee! It's about the most socially rebellious thing I can think of for a Croatian person as Croatia was known for centuries as 'Ante Muralis Christianis' the Wall of Christendom. These are voluntary conversions, this is nto something happening because of tax benefits under the Ottoman Empire, this is not something done to avoid persecution.
Basically Muslims are not persecuted in Croatia, but it's nto socially an advantage either to be Muslim in Croatia either. I'd say that it might be a bit hard actually outside of areas which border on Bosnia-Hercegovina, where at least there are quite a few Muslims. I can just imagin what Mama i Tata have to say.
Still given how the Church has handled itself in certain recent scandals in the U.S. and in the rest of Europe, maybe it's not so unforseeable developement. The article is in Slobodna Dalmacija and I don't have time to translate the lot. I will come back and update later.

Comments:
Hey Yakima,

I'm at your webpage outa the tri-cities nano group and see your most recent entry here has to do with the muslims and the croats. My second nano novel, last year's, was about a young, single mother living in Seattle who came from the former Yugoslavia. I had a difficult time trying to research what exactly all the fuss was about over there. Maybe you can help. Here's my question:

1. Was there a good guy/bad guy thing to this conflict? Was it the Serbs or the Croats, or the muslims? (I realize that may be a stoopid question since it depends on either one, or the other's point of view), so I guess the question really is, what happed to Yugoslavia?

I guess that's it for now. Thanks
 
How about some good guys, some bad guys and lot of semi-bad guys within each ethnic group?

BTW, Yakima, would you be interested in hosting a Carnival of the Balkans in about two weeks from now (December 15th)? E-mail me.
 
coturnix, I am really deaply honoured you'd consider me for this, the thing is I have problems makeing stuff work correctly on Blogger, especially the hyper-link function. This is just not a good time for me to do justice to this important job. I looked all over for your e-mail and could not find it. It's been a bit of a wierd day.
 
Coturnix1@aol.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter