Friday, November 25, 2005

 

The Flip Side of Outsourceing

NPR is running a story about oursourceing and how it affects the Indians. The effects of workign in these call-centers isn't so good. These are very educated people who are not able to do jobs in the call center industry. Employees are under more survellence than prisoners or slaves. It's pretty terrible. The up-side is the better call centers do treat the workers well, pickeing them up for work and such. The pay is good. I can tell you as the third generation in my family to have worked in a call center, it's VERY stressful work, in some ways I physically have not recoverd. My son is doing similar work here, at a fairly high level,for a very good company. He at least feels his talents are used and that he is in fact of help to people.
But then again he has not gotten one of those high up there degrees like some of those people in India. Another thing, I thought as I heard the story, I had to 'tone down' my resume to get the job when I did. If I went for such a job now, the same thing would be true.
Well I feel sympathy for the young people working in those places. The ones I heard on the program sounded intelligent, these are the very sort of young people who used to immigrate here.

Comments:
Re outsourcing - in the UK there's now what is quite possibly an urban legend that British backpackers on their gap year between school and university are taking jobs in these outsourced call centres to pay their way round India.

Makes a change from strawberry picking in Oz, I guess...
 
interesting! From the accents I get when I call 'customer service' or am a hair late with the mortgage, I am inclined to think that is really a BAD urban legend, so untrue that anyone could figure out it was. It's a very high stress form of work I can tell you that from haveing done call center work myself, all out going stuff, it's not at all fun, and it's not even that much fun when they call you!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter