Tuesday, November 15, 2005

 

Excuse me do you speak Serblish?

I find this one funny as Hell, because I encountered some form of several of these with people who speak Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian and it makes me smile.
One thing I like about the Australians is they are a lot less 'politically correct' than Americans are. Sometimes all that sensitivity gets to the point that no one knows what is being discussed anymore. I want to print this out for my instructor in Medical Interpreting so that she too can have a good laugh.
Disclaimer NOTHING IN HERE IS IN ANY WAY INTENDED TO UPSET OR OFFEND ANYONE!

Comments:
Still can't get used to the word 'wog' getting reclaimed, or even to it being used to refer to Mediterranean or Slavic immigrants rather than black people (as one of the worst racist insults in British English).

Sensitivity and translation, again...
 
Say it LOUD
I'M WOG I'M PROUD!
Say it LOUD!
I'M WOG I'M PROUD!
 
Hahahahaah!
Perfect.

I like:
"Jel si kallala tvoja tetka?"

"did you call your aunt?"
 
WE'RE WOGS?
I had no idea!

I thought "wog" was short for Golliwog which is that insulting little doll that Florence Kate Upton made up back at the turn of the century.

Who knew that slavs were being called "wogs" now.
I guess we've finally made it into the mainstream...since most Americans couldn't even find the Balkans on a map until 1990.
 
Radmila, actually woglife is an Australian product. They will not let you copy their stuff and I had one slight ulterior motive linking to it, and that is I want to show it to my Medical Interpreter 101 instructor on Monday and I am not sure what the filters on the computers down at the branch in the Empty Borderlands of the Gulag is going to do to it, so I will pull up my blog, hit the link and she will be able to see it! :)
"So in the U.S. we Slavs are not Wogs, Wog in fact is not a word much used in the U.S. except by Oz and Brit expats. It's regarded as a quaint and silly word reeking of colonialism.
Still you have to admit, Slavic people never blend into 'Anglo-Saxon' or as the Oz people describe it 'Anglo-Celtic' culture. That I see as being a GOOD thing!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter