Thursday, October 20, 2005

 

Karadzic is a Poseur not a Poet.

A war criminal turned poet

Radovan Karadzic
Thursday October 20, 2005
The Guardian

Pursuers of world's most wanted man - Radovan Karadzic, the leader of the Bosnian Serbs during the Balkans conflict, are poring over potential clues - in a newly published volume of his poetry. We reprint one below:

I surmise the sun is wounding me

With its sharp malignant rays

I surmise the stars are healing me

I am the deity of dark cosmic space

A horned cow reveals a faithless goddess

Everything's turned against me the one true god

I created the world to tear my head off

Judges torture me for insignificant acts

I am disgusted by the souls who radiate nothing

Like a small nasty puppy puny death

Is approaching from afar

I don't know what to make of all these things

But I can't stand the sight of you you file of scum

You file of snails

Well hurry up in your slime

Because if I can turn my words into thunder

I can turn you into a pool of stagnant water

Now that I am in this crazy fervour of mine

I could do just about anything

So your stupid rotten your vain souls

Wouldn't stare at me with their stupid peaceful eyes

If you take women out of the equation

I don't even know what

These slimy creatures are for

What all their words are for

What their lectures are for

I demand and I want just as God rightfully wants

The immediate abolition of all things

Without a purpose and with no beauty

Without a purpose

And no soundness

OK Radovan, less rakija, in fact if you were my student I'd send you out to scythe the back 40 for this pathetic effort.
As for clues, my 'quick and dirty' analysis is that he's really mad at God. He doesn't like academics, and perhaps whereever he is the library REALLY sucks. A cow tried to gore him or simply ddin't supply him with milk, condemning him to an exclusive diet of snails. He doesn't like snails and he thinks killing all those people was a 'trivial act' and he's liveing in a really dark cave and only traveling by night.He sunburns easily, and perhaps he is a vampire. OH and it's plain Radovan doesn't like women very much, or female animals of any kind. Maybe my guess that he's fled to Mt Athos is correct. But he can't stand all that religion.
Hey Radovan there is only one God and you are NOT IT!

Comments:
Ouch, dreadful stuff. Maybe it reads better in the original tongue? I'm trying to be charitable. Either way, he's barking mad or trying to establish lunacy as a defence.

BTW; Ta for the visit. :D
 
Hi Dorna! thanks for stopping by :) Since I speak Bosnian, I sort of tried to 'back engineer', and the ONLY thing I can come up with is it probably mostly rhymes. Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian all rhyme easily. Aside from rhymeing I doubt much else is better. The sentiments are certainly no more attractive in the original.
Gee did you know this guy wrote some kids books?
As well by trade, Karadzic used to be in the mental health field as well as being in the family business as a linguist so if he wanted to fake being barking mad, he could do it.
 
Everybody's a poet.
Except him.
 
I don't know about the rest of you but, while I was reading the translated of this poem I couldn't help but see different words.

Read my translation of what I saw!

John..



I surmise the world is hunting me

With its wounded, mourning victims.

I surmise the stars are watching me

I am the deity of dark genocide

A horned cow reveals a hopeless future

Everything's turned against me, even the one true God

I provoked the world to tear my head off

Judges torture me for significant acts

I am disgusted by the souls who radiate the betterment of Serbia

Like a small nasty puppy puny death

Is approaching from afar

I don't know what to make of all these things

But I can't stand the sight of me, I’m a file of scum

I hope my grave will not file of snails

I’ll hurry up in my slime

Because if I can turn my words into deception

I can turn global will into a pool of stagnant water

Now that I am in this crazy fervor of mine

I could try just about anything

So now I have a stupid rotten vain soul

I Wouldn't stare at me with their stupid searching eyes

If you take me out of the equation

I don't even know what

my slimy creatures are for

What all my acts were

What their lectures are for

I deserve and demand to answer for my crimes just as God rightfully wants

The immediate abolition of all things genocide

With a purpose and full of beauty

With a purpose

And a soundness for all the world to hear.
 
Hi Radmila, nice to have you visit!
Hi again John, John meet Radmila,Radmila, meet John, he's American but likes Serbian people, John Radmila is one of my friends and she's actually Serbian, she'd have a better idea than either of us what the original would come be like in Serbian. Anyway I still say it's to quote Archie the Cockroach in Archy and Mehitible 'punk poetry'!
I know people from the Teenaged Drama Queen Angst School of poetry who do better. This is just plain flat los! sorry.
 
John!
Where is your blog?
The opening sounds so interesting, and then BAM!
Nothing there.
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of most poetry.
Even though I have done my share of writing it.
Truthfully, I haven't read the original.
I'm sure that there could be at least 3 different translations.
When you're a war criminal in jail, I'm sure that you have plenty of time to ponder life and write poetry. Most poetry is quite self indulgent, and really...I only ever wrote when I was feeling sorry for myself.
I'm sure no one has more sympathy for him than karadzic himself.
 
I'm SORRY! I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't questioning your translation, I was actually making fun of the translation.

I rewrote it with my words making fun of Karadzic.

What I wrote was nothing more than my imigination filling in words to make fun of Karadzic.

Sorry for any confusion.

Radmilia, hi, nice to meet you. You should be able to visit my blog by clicking the link to the left of my picture. If not here is the link;

http://johnanderson75.blogspot.com/

I just went back and read my initial entry and I can understand how you thought it was I didn't agree with your translation. Sorry, I wrote the entry at the end of a nearly 20 hour shift and was tired as hell.

Again, I simply filled in and replaced words to make fun of Karadzic.

JOHN!
 
Hi John, I think you might not like my latest post!
Well John, you did show that there was NO WAY to make sense of Karadzic's words in that poem!
Try not to post at the end of 20 hour shifts, sleep first, cuz we write gluposti when tired, it's worse than being dead drunk! :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter