Saturday, October 22, 2005

 

East Ethhnia's Beans Recipe: And a Bosnian recipe

The recipe that East Ethnia has is good, I am fairly sure that they would also give me horendous gas. I can only eat a couple kinds of beans without the room being seriously polluted.
Still here is the recipe that I learned when I was in BiH. It's probably exactly what people have in Croatia too.

There are these pink coloured beans that are about the same size as pinto beans, but no spots.

First thse beans have to boil for a very long time, like six hours, adding water as needed.
Once they are nice and soft you take some oil, and fry up the onions and garlic, one or two onions, and one or two cloves of garlic. Fry until the onions are translucent, and have slightly browned edges.
Then take them out of the oil. The best oil to use is sunflower oil. Then you do the same deal with the flour and paparika, if you don't know how it's done, have someone show you, timeing is critical. (This stuff isn't just used in beans, you need it for
sarama as well.)
Add that to the beans, and then about the equivalent of six or seven strips of bacon in the form of Bosnian type bacon. If you are haveing guests who don't eat pork, smoked lamb or goat ribs are substituted.
Either way it tastes very good. You let it simmer for about another hour or two, and then have it with bread a salad and a nice white zinfandel.

In some big cities in Croatia, it's the custom that all the workers, whether at the time employed or not, get together in the main square on May Day, and eat this type of beans and bread. It's also a political event, visited by the president, and political candidates. They make a day of it and it's on TV and stuff.

I grew up eatting very hot foods, my digestion doesn't work as well it should if I don't have hot foods about once a week. I found that I could eat the paparika available in BiH and Croatia by the spoonful, it tasted like powdered tomatoes to me, even what they call 'ljut paprika' and it burned my friends to eat that. Ajvar is deliecious to me but BLAND. I liked it with a boiled egg. I always get some when I go to Seattle. They have it at the Souk, a nice place in the Pike Street Market area. It's actually a shop run by Pakistanis, but they carry things used by people from the Balkans as well. They're nice guys and have been in business there for over 20 years.

Comments:
Ahhh, nothing like a good bowl of pasulj on a cold autumn day.
 
My significant other and I had a long running joke about the horrific gas I get from beans. I simply can't eat the delicious beans they have over there. Of course in Lent that's an every Friday thing! i can have lentils and garbanzo beans, or black beans, or a certain rare been found only in New Mexico, sort of a multi coloured pinto bean on steroids. I can have grean peas, but pinto beans are dangerous, red beans are dangerous, and those cute little pink beans are downright deadly, it's like tear gass what comes out of me! He said one day 'I makeing beans you eating beans and go Haag! Milosevic giveing up SOOON!'
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter