Friday, September 02, 2005

 

The Catastrophe in Louisianna

I really think the whole thing in Louisianna is just sad, those poor people! It's kind of close to home for a few reasons, 1. I have traveled in the Southern United States and loved the people, and loved the places whether it was New Orleans, Biloxi, Mobile, and the other towns which have names I have forgotten, but had such nice people.
2. My daughter's father-in-law's sister and her kids lived in Louisianna, I am glad to say they got out alive, they lost everything, but at least they got out alive, they are someplace in Texas.
3. Some people I used to know live in Alabama, and I just hope they are ok.
The culture of Louisianna in particular of New Orleans was wonderful, tolerant and relaxed. It was one of my favorite American cities.
I can't help thinking that if the levies had been maintained better, a federal matter, maybe things would not have gotten so bad. I think too that some of the other stuff that went on after the hurricane and the floods was simply terrible. Snipeing at people who came to help is not my idea of cute, funny or even a good idea. It pisses me off anyone would do that.
I have a very bad feeling about this, and what it shows has happened to our country. I can understand the looting of food, and clothing, some of these people had no other way to get either food or clothing, and certainly no way to get money to pay for it.
I think martial law should have been declared sooner, I think troops could have commandeered the goods from large stores to use in relief efforts, and that the people should have been gotten out, the ones who could not drive could have been given notice to get their valuables, documents meds and been put on busses or trains or whatever and taken out of harms way. There was some warning there'd be a hurricane. I alos think President Bush should have put price controls on gas and other vital supplies. This is what I would have done for starters. It's quite true that all this was worse because of the loss of wet-lands, and the poor maintenance of levies.
The other thing I have to ask is why is it that the religious types who say that these events are 'God's Judgement' can't ever relate God's Judgement to wars, to greedy rulers? It's alwyas the fault of common people! jebiga bilokako!
Another source of amusement is that the right wing talk radio jerks were going off about how all these countries we help never send us help! that's all raimish! The Germans were the first to offer help, then the British, even the French, they did so without saying anything judgemental too. Hugo Chavez was a bit judgemental, but he even offered help. We should at least say 'Thanks for careing!' Hell if the aid is appropriate we should also accept it! There are people out there who ARE grateful to the United States or America and it's good they are glad to help! I say even we should say 'thanks Mr. Chavez, please send gas and oil!' And I wish the right wing talk show hosts would please stop saying 'no one ever offers the United States help!' because this is not true. I'm all for free speech, they have the right to be liars if they want, but they must not expect everyone to be patient with them for ever.

***
Notes on the box elder bugs, they have been less active of evenings. I haven't had the chance to photograph any lately. Just as well since I'm at my daughter's a few days. My monitor at home died, so I'm useing their computer. I will have a new monitor before classes start. I'm going to get a 17 inch.

Comments:
I guess you were probably pissed at my entry of the same subject.

I've since been back and responded to all my negative feedback I got from it.

Oh, I liked the picture of the bug!

John
 
k I'm gonna go there and check it out, hvala
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter