Sunday, July 24, 2005

 

OK my kids are right, I'm not really an American!

table width=350 align=center border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=2>You Are 50% American
America: You don't love it or want to leave it.
But you wouldn't mind giving it an extreme make over.
On the 4th of July, you'll fly a freak flag instead...
And give Uncle Sam a sucker punch!

How American Are You?



OK some of the questions leave out stuff I do and don't like that might change the answer, I do in fact have an American flag on display in my window at all times, I think of it as my 'Soul Brother' sign.
I purchased this flag at the same time I bought my house, on the grounds that on my block, display of the American flag is customary on all national holidays where displaying a flag is customary. It has been on daily display since Sept 11,2001. I display it in a window that faces the street as flags were frequently stolen right after the attacks as they came to be in short supply.
I have never personally burned an American flag, I would leave forthwith any demonstration where this took place regardless of my feelings about the governement in the context of that protest. I DO however believe burning the flag is Constitutionally protected free speech and we are in trouble the moment it ceases to be Constitutionally protected free speech.
It seems the quiz was unfairly weighted on the flag question.
My food preferences and fashion preferences seem to mark me as 'un-American' My respect for progressive aspects of the Canadian system also.
My musical preferences as well.
I find the song 'I'm Proud to Be an American' a silly song. There is a kids camp song that I'm afraid would upset Albanians pointlessly that I won't quote here, I can't hear 'I'm Proud to Be an American' without the words of the kid's summer camp re:write echoing in my memory, it is so bad I make up new words! Sorry if that makes me a bad American and also appologies to any Albanians, I personally never met an Albanian I didn't like.
I never could resist a satire. Bad of me I know, lowbrow of me I know. sorry my bad.
I do like other patriotic songs. Hell if they'd asked about even Yankee Doodle,the answer would have been different, now there's a good old American rebel song, nearly Irish in it's sarcasm.
I vote regularly, I can count missed elections on one hand, and it was always some dramatic life circumstance that necessitated my not voteing.
I don't understand people who don't vote.
Apathy is stupid.

Comments:
You know the beauty behind this post, it's one hundred percent American by the simple fact that you have the free choice to voice your opinion. I don't know any American who would have it other wise.

I agree that the burning of the American flag is prtoected by the the freedom of speach. There have been times I have felt like burning it myself. I've risked my life for America and in my mind I was risking my life for the freedom of choice. I choose not to vote because I believe those who are running are corrupt. I would vote for Colin Powel if he ever runs for president though.

In my mind, an American mind, that's what makes America American.

Have a good day,
John
 
I think I mentioned I'm a big fan of Denis Kucinich, (man it bothers me to have to do that 'h'!} I did vote for him in hte primary but went with Dean, then Gore, despite not likeing Gore. Clark never took off here in the gulag. I can't say I'm nuts about Powell, but he's an improvement over some of the people we've had.
Persoanally I prefer a clear divisiton between the military and the politicians. All mixing them up does is corrupt the military.
I think this was mroe about cultural than political American-ness. There are ways I don't fit in here. Not that I hate my country, quite the contrary. I have it in for some aspects of life h ere, but it's better than a lot of other places.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter