Friday, June 03, 2005

 

Medieval Reciipes

Thanks MetaFilter! I love sites like this with the cool pix. I have to say though that not one SCA person of my aquaintance knows how to make good mead. I make the best mead in this Gulag!
Today was the last day of classes. I will need to do two more tests in Math to bring my grade up. I feel so tired from school. I MUST finish this out if I can. I will have finals by mail for Billing and Codeing. Wednesday, I can go find out my grade in Spanish. The plays today were good.
One was intellectual, a debate in a restaruant on Gay Marriage, and the other was a very funny film. I think actually out of the class, my group had the second best play.We feel very good about it, but I have to say, we are all glad it's over! :) Everyone did clever plays, and everyone did soemthing entertaining, so I'm pleased about it. My shrimp curry was a huge hit with my classmates in both classes. I had like a teaspoon worth of leftovers. I really have made some nice friends. I"m calling one right now.
This weekend I will go to EdgeFest but I'm also going to go up to the Relay For Life.
Last night's Step Danceing was odd. The costumeing was kind of bad, the dancers were decent however, and the music was interesting, very Balkans influenced. I liked it. The singers need me to give them Sean Nos lessons though. Sean Nos is not for just anyone. It's like the Blues, it's part of a life that I have lived part of and these nice young ladies have not lived that life.
Trinity came too, she hasn't had much exposure to Irish music, or to step danceing. I have seen All Ireland Champions in the Bay Area, and I know what the judges look for, because in the contests there, the judges used to say what the dancerd did best and how they could improve their performance.
The costumeing was simply terrible. I realize good step danceing dresses are very expensive, but if a person can't afford the right dress, a plain black or green velvet dress is best. Also BLACK STOCKINGS WITH COLOURS OTHER THAN BLACK DO NOT WORK!
The best of the dancers didn't commit that particular fashion error, but she wore a dress that came too close to being ORANGE! It also bore an enigmatic thing that looked like a Chinese or Japanese character.What was up with that?
The other dancers had iron-on badly exsecuted Celtic knots. they wore some kind of wrap around skirts made of a fabric that is too flimsy to have the right look for step danceing.
I really wish they'd spoken to me I would have explained why NOT to do that.
Frankly it looked bloody awful. If you can't afford decent embroidered work and decent Irish lace that's no sin, but that iron-on shit IS!!!
A plain close cut short dress with a knife pleated skirt with maybe a lace collar is good enough if you can't obtain the nice dresses with Celtic embroidery. The proper cloth is any decent plain broadcloth or velvet, in dark green, or blue or red. Orange or any color approaching orange is simply Not Done!

The only decent costume was worn by Anna Marie.
It was a two piece long green dress, with a stole. This type of dress is worn by some people from India on formal occaisions. It looked really nice and flattered her figure.
She's a good singer, but again, needs more exposure to real Sean Nos, even in this Gulag that's doable, thanks to Fiona Richie, or even thanks to ME!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter