Thursday, May 12, 2005

 

Romeo and Juliet, Opening Night, Excellent

I am a great lover of theatre and one advantage o9f attending the Yakima Gulag Peoples Institute of Higher Re:Education is the Drama Department puts on good plays like Batboy and Shakespeare and stuff. I'm not even a HUGE Shakespeare fan but hej for $5 I'm totally going to go. This was a neat take, they set it in Little Italy New York and kind of had a '60s thing going, Everyone looked like they'd hit Woglife, and read this handy feature, Wog Eye For the Skip Guy. Yeah, I know in NYC they never said Wog, but well the Wardrobe person totally had that going and it really worked. I'm totally stealing several of the outfits given half a chance!
The acting was fun, and I liked the singing. Fight choreaography was the best I've seen in a Yakima Gulag People's Institute of Higher Re:Education production. There was in one of the fights a particularly good slap, lots of knive fights, and the poison scenes were done well.
I liked the sets too, it had the right look. The whole thing was really very enjoyable.

Afterwards there was such a Ray Carver moment. There are these apartments near the campus with the whole 'How Berkley Can You Be' look of off campus student houseing everywhere. People were moveing out, and it's so far taken them two trucks. They hollered at me and my friend that went with me, 'Hey wanna buy a piano?' We went in and looked at it just for the hell of it, it was a nice instrument and totally out of tune. I know a guy who sometimes buys pianos so I took the liberty of giveign the guy his name. Anyway, they had something lots more portable, one of those hanging incense dohickies, it has abalone shells on it. Seeing as I use a lot of incense, and they only wanted $1 I went ahead and bought it. I saw some parson's tables too but I could not have carried one in my present debilitated state. Anyway. The play was terrific, go see it!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter