Saturday, May 07, 2005

 

Algerian Version of 'Rock the Casbah'

I should say that as a Catholic who practices the tradition of modest dress, it's difficult to go into populoar music scenes. I love good pop music too! I like punk sometimes, and I like rock, every bit as much as I like any other kind of music.
In the Gulag there used to be Karaoke Night at several bars. I am not heavily into drinking or the bar scene, especially here where it's gotten kind of bad, but I used to sometimes go out and do Karaoke, because I am a good singer and sometimes make money doing it. Anyway sometimes people would do 'Rock the Casbah' and it was very plainly aimed at me. I knew it was. It used to piss me off too because it is Christians who are ignorant of the true rules who piss me off the most.
Anyway these ignorant skinheads went into the bar and began doing the Clash version. When I heard Rashid Taha on NPR doing his totally kickass totally right on version I remembered that night. I wished the skinhead supak who did that could hear this version, which is so in your face, so perfect!
I'm going on one of those MP3 sites and find it. I'll have to post it separately just for Gordy.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter