Tuesday, April 12, 2005

 

My Friends Always Ask Me, 'Why Did You Go THERE?!?

Well the question is answered quite simply, I met someone from Bosnia, actually I met him at church, he's an older guy, he probably doesn't want all his personal stuff on the Internet. I will therefore not name or describe him except to say that I am very fond of him, he's also an endless source of frustration, mostly because he's in his own country, and I am in mine, most people play 'your place or mine?' we play 'your country or mine?'
Anyway I went there at his invitation and found the experience of being in Bosnia itself life changeing. It was wierd to go to a country where despite the fact at the time I did not speak the language, I felt 'normal', I felt at home.
There is another wierd thing I should mention, from about age four, I had these dreams, I dreamed that I was flying, sometimes like a bird does, sometimes in an airplane, and I was in this country that I did not know, the houses were a lot different than San Francisco. I had these dreams at intervals in my life and sometimes I dreamed of a nightmare landscape, ruined houses, walking with large numbers of people and all of us haveing a big problem and a lot of fear. I personally had not had any real disasters in my life by that age. I was not sheltered as a kid, but I was not in harsh circumstances either. I could not say these dreams meant anything special, psychologically speaking.
I now think they were prescient dreams, or perhaps in some cases dreams from another life.
Anyway from the moment the plane was in Bosnian airspace, I began to feel like I'd gone home, and I looked out the window at a tiny town, through the clouds. It was not my first air trip, but it was my first trip overseas. I spent time in Mexico as a child, that is out of the country but it is NOT overseas, it's different, I did not cross an ocean, or leave a continent. There is a different thing to going that far, to the 'Old World'.
Because a substantial part of my heritage is Irish, and culturally I have a strong identification with Irish people, I didn't expect this shock of recognition to hit me in Bosnia!
The air felt right, then we went to my fiance's place, he went out and got some cevapcici, and some beer, and while he was out, I am not Muslim, I'm Catholic, but I heard the azan called, and somehow that felt right too.
I had some reaction to the altitude, but beyond that, I was healthy all that first visit, and I enjoyed going around and seeing things, picking up the language, and meeting my fiance's friends.
Later, I went home and I'm kind of the family's history buff. I got busy learning about the history. I wanted to remain as objective as possible. This is not easy, but I made the effort.
Anyway, I know other sorts of European history, I'm a pretty good amateur Medievalist, so it really wasn't too hard dopeing out that my family way back did have roots in Bosnia. OK that explained something.
Sometimes very subtle cultural things stay with a family a long time. Things about myself began to make sense.
I made two other trips over there, to see my fiance, who had assorted troubles with his visa situation.
He had problems as well with his health.
In fact just staying in touch has been very difficult. He doesn't like to write, telephoneing is expensive, I do most of the calling. Something vital in the dynamics of a normal relationship has been damaged by the distance and the fact that if it weren't for me there would not be contact.
I learned the language fairly quickly, I wanted to know it, I had questions to ask him, I wanted to understand his too rare letters, and to make myself clear to him. Besides, if you are going to be involved with someone from another country, you are smart to learn the language. That way it is so much harder to pull a fast one on you. A language is of itself a valuable skill anyway.
I have to be honest and admit that often I am frustrated about this situation. There isn't a lot I can do right now about just going there, even for a visit. I might not have another chance to fix the gaps in my education either.

Comments:
I am touched with what you write. Being a Bosniac, Catholic, who studied Irish literature, visited Ireland, traveled from Dublin to Sligo, and read a lot, I must say there is something in common... And besides, long time ago Celts were living in these parts of Europe...Svako dobro!
 
Seesaw, thanks for your comment! I feel something in common there too! The Irish end of my family are Northern, and Catholic, and are heavily intermarried with Catholic Scots, Clan Cameron, Clan McDonald and Stewarts and McAlpins. On my mom's side I am a direct descendant of Robert the Bruce. It turns out that there is a collateral tie to the Wallaces.That isn't all that unique, the Scots and the Irish are all related to each other, they were not large ethnic groups before arriveing in the Americas.
What is interesting is that the evidence of Bosnian descent was present in my late mother's library. She owned a book I still have called 'The Devils Brood' which is the story of the House of Anjou. The House of Anjou is a major French royal house, also known as the Plantagenets.Members of that family ruled in France, Scotland, England, Jerusalem, Albania, Hungary, Italy, and there were at least three marriages into the royal houses in Bosnia.
My late mother was very definate that we were part Hungarian and NOT just any Hungarians either. So when I read that book, I found the part that proved that I am part Bosnian, and was really rather delighted because feeling that elementally at home now had a reason.
The Celts are to ancient Europe what the Native Americans are to the Americas, there are few parts of Europe where the Celts did not go, were not the first inhabitants. They by no means were as large a population group as Slavs.
The Scots end of my family have definately one Polish tie.
I should mention that my family on the Swedish end has a lot of ties with Poland as well. The last Catholic queen of Sweden was Polish, her name like the last Queen of Bosnia, was Katarina.Right after her death, Sweden went completely Lutheran.
There were a lot of wars between Sweden and Poland, as between Sweden and Russia. Perhaps that explains my mom not wanting to acknowlege the Slavic ancestry in her family line. She once said that the end of Catholicism in Sweden was 'little short of ethnic cleansing'. Churches were burned and people killed. I think a lot of Swedes with Catholic leanings early took the opportunity to leave for the Americas.Slavic ancestry could not be concealed on my dad's side, but he kind of denies it, he has a Germaninized Russian name. His mother had Austrian roots, and he rather identifies with being German, but physically he is very Russian looking. When I got to talk with his sister, she said that they came from Styria, so immediately I asked about Bergland Croats, she said 'I don't know for sure, but those ladies had such high cheekbones, and I wouldn't be surprised!' So I may in fact have more Croat origins than I thought. That remains to be seen. Sadly my dad was not a big part of my growing up as my parents had a rather acrimonious divorce. My father came back into my life two years ago. That has been rather interesting as for forty years, there was no contact. I did not know if he were still alive.
It's wierd finding out how much we have in common mentally, despite that long lack of contact.
At whatever point I make it back to Sarajevo, I hope we can meet for a coffee!! Thanks again for your kind comments! :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter